Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is a global, nonprofit, Christian housing organization working in approximately 70 countries around the world. Our vision is of a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Habitat works toward our vision by building strength, stability and self-reliance in partnership with people and families in need of a decent and affordable home. Through financial support, volunteering or adding a voice to support affordable housing, everyone can help families build better lives for themselves. Through shelter, we empower.
In direct support of a grant through the IKEA Foundation, we are seeking an experienced Chief of Party to lead a multi-million dollar project. The Chief of Party – Clean Energy (Uganda) will lead the implementation and continuous development of initiatives aiming to improve and increase the use of clean energy at the household level in Uganda. Initially, this will focus on the design and construction of a solar power facility, with corresponding micro-grid and distribution networks.
We are looking for a skilled candidate who also aligns with our organisational values that include service, teamwork, stewardship, continuous improvement and respect for others.
TITLE: Chief of Party – Clean Energy (Uganda)
SUPERVISOR: Director – Operations (EMEA)
CROSS-FUNCTIONAL REPORTING TO: National Director – Habitat for Humanity Uganda
LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya or Kampala, Uganda
(must be able to work in these locations without visa sponsorship)
TRAVEL: Up to 50% to field site in Uganda
TERM: Up to 3 years, per grant funding
- Oversee the tendering of Project Management & Engineering Works for the power facility (estimated at $5-6 Million USD)
- Manage contracts & service agreements with Engineers & Contractors
- Manage relationships with the Rural Electrification Agency & Energy Regulation Authority, including securing all required regulatory approvals
- Develop strong partnerships with District Local Governments to support implementation and advance a long term energy agenda
- Engage with consumers to identify household energy needs & identify opportunities for product delivery
- Engage with Financial Service Providers to develop products that enable clean energy uptake
- Engage with other market actors to improve products & services
- Support the development of additional, complementary initiatives related to household energy as needed
- Timely completion of all reporting requirements
- Ensure compliance with all donor regulations
- Participate as part of leadership and management teams, as needed
- Relevant university degree in Development or Engineering required. Electrical engineering preferred, but also willing to look at civil or mechanical with related electrical experience.
- Master’s degree preferred
- 7-10 years of experience managing multi-year programmes of similar size & complexity ($5-6M; working with multiple levels of stakeholders)
- Demonstrated knowledge of clean energy and electricity distribution systems
- Demonstrated understanding of participatory development principles, practices & standards combined with practical experience in implementation
- Demonstrated understanding of market based principles & approaches combined with practical experience in implementation
- Experience with behaviour change methodologies and strategies
- Must be eligible to work in Kenya and Uganda without visa sponsorship
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 31, 2018
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates may submit their CV and cover letter online via our website at:
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.