Position Title FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION MANAGER
Supervisor: NATIONAL DIRECTOR
Department: Finance and Administration
Location: Kampala-National Office
Job Summary: Reporting to the National Director, the Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for overall professional financial and administrative management services for Habitat for Humanity Uganda. This position ensures that monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements are prepared and also establishes procedures and oversees daily accounting operations. The position supervises the Senior Accountant, Grants Accountant and the Finance Officer.
Start Date: October 2020.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and copies of relevant academic credentials to email@example.com clearly indicating the position applied for in the subject line.
Deadline: 21st August 2020
Habitat for Humanity Uganda is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, nationality, origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Qualifications, Experience and Abilities:
- A graduate degree in Financial Accounting or Finance related field
- At least 10 years’ experience in accounting or financial management, in business or Non-profit Organization out of which at least 5 years should be at a senior management level such as Finance Manager/Director level with responsibilities for managing the Finance function of the organization.
- Experience in using Sun Systems or equivalent. Experience in installation and training on computerized accounting systems is an added advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of finance-related legislation such as the VAT Act, Income Tax Act, IFRS, etc.
- Demonstrate a proficient level of professional skill and/ or knowledge in accounting and financial management
- Knowledge and ability to use applicable information technology and accounting systems to meet work requirements.
- Adopt a professional business-like approach internally and externally.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong analytical skills. Detail-oriented and ability to work and interpret numbers, figures and other financial information.
- Strong communication skills – both oral and written.
- Ability to work with other cultures. Patience and perseverance in understanding and explaining/addressing issues and effecting change through persuasion and diplomacy.
- Flexibility and independence to work in a changing and unstructured environment. Ability to work interdependently within a team.
- Creativity and innovativeness
- High level of integrity, self-driven and able to set own work schedule with rigorous deadlines.
- High level of professional people management and customer care skills.
- Professional qualifications in finance and accounting will be added advantage
Key result areas:
Manage the Accounting Function of the Organization:
- Manage daily operations and monitor the organization’s financial transactions to ensure that these are recorded in line with fund accounting policies, on an accurate and timely basis and financial reports are provided to all stakeholders by the set deadlines
- Maintain the Accounting System to ensure accurate revaluation, reporting and compliance
- Conduct the month-end and quarterly-end closure process, including all relevant reconciliations
- Ensure statement of best practice in accounting systems and processes
- Ensure that all financial operations are carried out in accordance with HFHI policies and required local standards
Annual planning and budgeting:
- Coordinate and work with the senior management team to develop and finalize the annual plan and budget
- Ensure that all required information is submitted to the area office (EMEA) within deadlines and that questions, feedback, etc. are responded to in a timely manner
- When finalized ensure that the annual plan and budget is accurately incorporated into the annual MOU between the national organization and the area office
- In collaboration with the National Director, coordinate the Board of Director approval process of both the annual plan/budget as well as the MOU
- Ensure that the Annual Budget is posted into the Accounting System
Financial Reporting and Cash-flow Management:
- Prepare the quarterly financial reports in line with HFHI Financial Indicators policy and submit to the area office (EMEA) in line with the submission deadlines.
- Ensure that the organization is well resourced by monitoring cash flow forecast and submitting timely International Transfer requests to the area office as needed and appropriate.
- On monthly basis, produce relevant, accurate and timely reports for budget holders, department heads and project owners.
- Produce relevant, accurate and timely reports for the board of directors.
- Analyze financial data on a monthly basis; track key indicators and timelines. Provide written or verbal analysis to stakeholders such as management staff, the board, the area office and HFHI, as required.
- Ensure all required statutory reports are filed with respective authorities (corporate income tax, charity commission, annual report, etc.)
Grant Management compliance and Donor Reporting
- Prepare budgets for all concept papers and fundraising proposals in cooperation with the Resource Development (RD) and Program departments (PD).
- Analyze, verify and review proposal budgets to ensure donor compliance and reasonableness.
- Coordinate the proposal review process and ensure compliance with solicitations and donor regulations
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of donor rules and regulations and ensure compliance
- Track expenditure of all grants and projects and prepare timely financial reports for RD and PD, as well as for donors, in agreed donor format.
- Ensure that all grant documentation is maintained according to donor standards and donor regulations
- Review all payment requests to ensure that they meet the standards of allowable, allocable and reasonable; manage grantee budgets so that they do not exceed allowable amounts.
- Conduct Financial Due-Diligence for potential Sub-Grantees/ Partners.
- Ensure Proper Capacity Building to selected Sub-Grantees supporting them in creating and implementing proper financial systems.
Maintain a strong Internal control environment:
- Promote a shared culture and ownership of maintaining strong internal controls throughout the organization.
- Directly manage the development, documentation, implementation, and monitoring of internal control processes that are in line with existing HFHI and organizational finance policies and minimize loss of the organization’s assets.
- Implement financial and administrative policies and systems to ensure organizational efficiency and effectiveness
- Maintain and regularly update the asset register. Ensure that the assets of the organization are maintained safely and securely
- Ensure that the organization at all times remains compliant to all relevant laws and regulations by constantly monitoring the legal and regulatory environment and ensuring adherence to the same.
Board relationship Management:
- Provide on-going advice on financial issues to the board including accounting, reporting, cash-flow, systems, policies and procedures, internal controls and updates on statutory/regulatory-related issues etc.
- Identify board financial efficiency and address the financial training needs by conducting such training or finding alternative resources for such training.
- In liaison with the National Director engage in discussions with the board to sustain management proposals; propose decisions in line with the strategy and risk appetite of the board
Manage the payroll administration system and procedures
- Review the accuracy and completeness of payroll data
- Ensure that statutory deductions are remitted to the government in a timely and consistent manner, including proper reconciliation of payroll-related ledger accounts
- Ensure all required payroll reports (personal income tax, benefits and insurance) are filed with respective authorities.
Organizational Risk and Governance
- Effectively lead the risk management function of the Organization
- Manage the operating environment to minimize risk for the potential loss of organizational resources
- Advise the board of directors and management on corrective measures needed and success of previous actions taken.
- Support all internal and external audits ensuring the timely implementation of all audit recommendations.
Manage the procurement function and processes
- Have managerial oversight over the procurement process in ensuring that all procurements for the organization meet the standard of prudence, cost, accountability and fairness.
- Advise management on procurement processes of required assets through a transparent and accepted procurement system
- Ensure adherence to organizational procurement policy and maintenance of proper documentation during all procurement processes.
Provide company-wide strategic input, insight and leadership
- Manage finance and administration staff and their performance
- Facilitate and promote interdepartmental collaboration as it relates to finance matters
- Support the National Director and Senior management team with corporate governance, strategy and regulatory compliance issues and strategic direction of the Organization
Any other reasonable duties assigned by the National Director and as relates to the interests and operations of Habitat for Humanity Uganda.
Internal/ External Working Responsibilities:
Internal: National Director, Senior Management Team, and Board of Directors.
External: Partners, Contractors and Donors.