Position Title: Credit Officer
Supervisor: Branch Supervisor
Department: Housing Microfinance
Job Purpose: The main purpose of this job is to guide, coordinate and carry out credit and related activities at the branch.
Key Result Areas:
1. Maintaining an average loan portfolio of not less than 200 active clients.
2. Maintain a repayment rate of not less than 95% for clients less than 30 days past due.
3. Maintain a Portfolio at Risk (PAR) greater than 30 days past due of not more than 5%.
4. Maintain a Loan Use Verification rate of at least not less than 95% per Quarter.
5. Supervise and conduct training sessions for Potential and Active clients: Sensitization Meetings and Financial literacy trainings.
6. Maintain a Quarterly Portfolio Growth (in terms of clients) of not less than 5%.
7. Maintain an average outstanding loan portfolio of at least not less than UGX.250 Million.
8. Disburse loans and monitor their performance.
Specific Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Arranging and organizing awareness seminars on services and products offered by Habitat for Humanity Uganda.
• Carrying out training programmes using prescribed modules of interest to the clients.
• Assisting credit applicants or borrowers during the application process.
• Liaising with local leaders in the respective localities with a view to identify, assess, appraise and approve loan applicants.
• Assessing the creditworthiness of potential borrowers and advising management accordingly.
• Participate in the credit committee meetings at the branch.
• Follow-up loan applications referred to the National Office for Approval.
• Timely disbursement of credit facilities.
• Supervise loan beneficiary projects during the loan term to ensure proper use.
• Ensuring timely recovery of loan instalments and interest thereof from borrowers.
• Participate in the compilation of loans and Financial Education reports to be submitted to the National Office on a routine basis.
• Assisting the Branch Supervisor in determining bad debts, if any, and the compilation of returns thereof to the National Office.
• Ensuring proper handling of organizational assets (Funds, Computers, Motor-cycles, and Cameras, etc.) attached to the branch to facilitate credit operations.
• Ensure proper record keeping and safety of client documentation by maintaining an adequate filing system.
• Carrying out any other duties assigned to him/her by the Branch Supervisor
Internal and External working relations
• Internal: Branch Supervisor, HMF Program Manager, HMF Program Staff, other HFHU program and Finance staff,
• External: Partners, Local authorities and Clients
Qualifications, Experience and Abilities:
• Minimum requirement: Diploma in the disciplines of microfinance, economics, business administration, or banking and finance.
• Minimum of 3 years working for a reputable Microfinance Institution preferred.
• Willing to uphold Christian Principles of HFHU
• Prior experience in some aspect of project cycle management.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience with monitoring and evaluation tools and systems.
• Excellent Computer skills in Microsoft word, excel and point power
• Ability to work effectively, independently or in a team environment.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
• Excellent inter-personal skills; demonstrating diplomacy and tact.
• High level of integrity combined with ability to make bold and timely decisions
• Highly pro-active and self-disciplined.
• Willingness to travel to the field for microfinance related duties.
• Knowledge of the local languages.
• Ability to ride a motor cycle with a valid permit is a must
Start Date: AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and copies of relevant academic credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating the position applied for in the subject line.
Deadline: 28th February 2020
Habitat for Humanity Uganda is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, nationality, origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note: This job description is not incorporated in the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as inflexible specifications as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments and following discussion with the post holder. The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives, which should facilitate achievement of the responsibilities in accordance with the performance review process.