About Habitat for Humanity Uganda
Habitat for Humanity Uganda’s Mission is to work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty housing in the country. Our Vision is a Uganda where everyone has a decent place to live. We are proud to be affiliated to Habitat for Humanity International a global housing ministry that is seeking to address urgent housing needs in over 80 countries across the world. Over the last 10 years Habitat for Humanity Uganda has rehabilitated and constructed over 24,000 houses, transforming over 144,000 lives across the country. Our country program is currently concentrated in 20 districts with 5 District-Based Offices in Kumi, Mayuge, Lugazi, Luweero and Fortportal. The Head of Programs (HOP) position is based at National Office in Kampala.
Reporting to the National Director, the HOP leads the design and delivery of the HFHU programmatic strategy. The position will ensure that programmes are aligned with Habitat for Humanity (HFH) mission, strategy and theory of change; and are compliant with the HFH Standards of Excellence (SOE) framework. The position provides leadership to ensure quality program development, effective programme operations, inclusive of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning, in addition to grants compliance and donor reporting. The HOP provides leadership in development and management of HFHU’s Institutional and local funding strategy including significantly increasing income from new sources as well as lead on proposal development initiatives by involving the necessary technical staff in the process as required. In order to build the capacity of managers and field teams to deliver on the country programme strategy, the HOP will be required to undertake extensive mentoring, coaching and team building.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic leadership and representation [30%]
- Provide overall strategic and technical leadership in the design, development, planning, budgeting and implementation of the Programme Strategy.
- Initiate, coordinate and lead HFHU’s programming, ensuring it delivers on HFH vision and objectives and championing the innovative ways of working envisioned in its business strategy.
- Oversee and support grant compliance and donor reporting on grant-funded projects.
- Participate fully in the annual budget process, leading the programs budgeting process, and provide ongoing oversight and management of program budgets.
- Keep abreast with and contribute to HFH’s global initiatives and trends.
- Provide thought leadership internally in HFHU.
- Represent HFHU in key external platforms as appropriate or delegated.
- Manage HFHU’s relationships with various stakeholders, participating in the wider HFHI networking and regional initiatives.
Lead program development and delivery [40%]
- Ensure the delivery of the various programs with demonstrable impact and be accountable for overall programme quality and learning.
- In liaison with DND-O, convene regular Grant Review Meetings to maintain the alignment of programme implementation and spending.
- Develop, implement and embed, a knowledge management system, which will ensure the sharing of knowledge across the programs, encouraging innovation across the organization.
- Oversee the development of the programs and project improvement plans, to ensure effective and timely implementation of the projects and programs.
- Lead the process of ensuring the feasibility of new programs from time to time as required.
- Work closely with the ND and program managers to identify opportunities for funding and access to different resources to ensure the financial sustainability of the country programme.
- Coordinate external program engagement.
- Oversee the partner portfolio, with specific reference to the identification of strategic partners, and building and maintaining these relationships.
- Build and develop an approach to program quality, knowledge production and dissemination.
- Ensure good levels of partner engagement in programming through meeting Partners’ needs in reporting, marketing, involvement in supporting the country strategy and making use of partner knowledge and subject expertise.
- Manage and develop HFHU’s Institutional funding strategy in consultation with the ND and program managers including significantly increasing income from new sources as well as lead on proposal development initiatives by involving the necessary technical staff in the process as required.
- Lead, embed and use Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning and Social Accountability work.
- Support knowledge management and sharing efforts, including distilling key lessons and making documents available on Habitat’s knowledge management sites.
- Prepare, compile and review programme reports as required.
People management and development [30%]
- Provide high quality leadership and support to Programme Managers, project and campaign leads.
- Manage the program team to deliver on the programme strategy, providing leadership and guidance and ensuring that the management of the team is in line with HFHU’s HR policies and procedures.
- The Head of Programs with support from HR, will manage the life cycle of individuals within the team from pre-recruitment to exit, including performance management processes, and working with HR on issues such as disciplinary matters.
- Build a high-performance culture in the programmes team.
- Participate as a member of the Senior Management Team.
- Carry out other reasonable duties, as directed/delegated by the National Director, in alignment with the organization’s mandate.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
- Suitable candidates will hold an advanced degree, preferably master’s in a development field, project management, urban planning, business management, or related field. Postgraduate training in financial management and project management an asset.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a similar role with a non-governmental organization.
- Understanding of housing issues in Uganda, particularly in relation to health & development.
- Technical knowledge in specific housing sectors an asset.
- Capacity building experience including training and skills development.
- Demonstrated success in securing major grants and managing donor/partner relations in particular, institutional donors.
- Demonstrated knowledge in risk and financial management and fulfilling the oversight role of ensuring compliance with organizational policies, grants and key donor requirements.
- Excellent English language skills (written, reading and spoken).
- Demonstrated analytic capacity and writing ability at a superior level.
- Proven experience including in-depth understanding of designing logical frameworks and theory of change for complex, multi-year projects and leading teams in formulating strategic and action plans
- Experience in designing research and other innovative projects.
- Good understanding of monitoring and evaluation of programs and use of data for decision making.
- Experience in programme evaluation at both outcome and impact levels.
- Ability to implement vision, think strategically and solve problems creatively, exercise good judgement, champion positive change, prioritize workload and worth with minimal supervision.
- Computer literate, with strong knowledge of MS Office applications, spread sheets, database programs, and statistical software packages.
- The candidate should be mature, with stable personality, an ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality and should align with the core Christian ethos of the organization.
- Ugandan Nationals preferred.
Applications should be addressed to the Human Resource Department and submitted before close of business on Friday, 20th December 2019 to this email: email@example.com
The position applied for should be indicated clearly in the subject line.
For more a detailed job description visit our website: http://habitat.ug or our Facebook page: Habitat for Humanity Uganda