|Supervisor:||NATIONAL DIRECTOR >|
|Location:||N/O with frequent travel to program locations/branches|
|Job Purpose:||The MEAL Specialist reports to the National Director. He/She is responsible for supporting the program teams by developing and implementing Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Systems, ensuring compliance with the HFHI Programs and MEAL Standards. The purpose of this position is further to support the improvement of program and project efficiency and effectiveness, decision making and learning through MEAL. S/He will provide technical support for all assessments, surveys and routine monitoring exercises and also oversee the organization’s accountability and feedback mechanisms, ensuring sensitization of HFHU staff and communities on the organization’s MEAL systems as well as timely follow-up on all feedback.|
Key Areas of Responsibilities
Strategy, Planning and Reporting
- Develop, implement and advocate for strategies that measure program and project impact, identify areas of strength and opportunities for growth and promote best practices in MEAL.
- Adapt MEAL methodology, approaches and tools and provide support and guidance to area office and national organization staff to ensure their proper use.
- Collaborate with other departments and national organizations to ensure that MEAL is properly integrated into program and project design, implementation, reporting and learning.
- Participate in program/project design and proposal writing in the areas of theory of change and log frame design, MEAL plan and budget development.
- In collaboration with program/project teams ensure that MEAL is properly integrated into project management, reporting and learning.
- Provide technical support to project teams to set up MEAL processes. Lead MEAL roll out plan in assigned projects/programs.
- Track project data reporting; record, manage and preserve monitoring and evaluation data in a safe and accessible way.
- Develop data base for storage and tracking of all historical and current projects of HFHZ
- Compile and provide required data for reporting to donors.
- Support HFHZ in the use of HFHI metrics tools and data reporting, review project data collection and reporting (Global Metrics Tool and related) for data quality and make recommendations for improvement.
- Conduct regular project data aggregation and analysis, discuss findings and recommend improvements.
- Provide support to management for evidence-based programmatic decision making
- Ensure all projects reports meet HFHI/ Donor MEAL standards and good MEAL practices
- Advise and support program/project teams on quality information gathering and analysis to facilitate informed program and project design.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of data collection and monitoring tools, and supporting documentation.
- Monitor data collection to ensure data quality
- Provide support and undertake field visits to monitor project progress and delivery of results as per MEAL plans.
- Reinforce systems and tools for MEAL, developing new tools as necessary; ensure appropriate process, output, and outcome level monitoring is carried out across all program sectors using effective qualitative and quantitative methods
Research and Evaluation
- Provide research, analysis, planning and evaluation guidance and tools for the implementation of new and pilot shelter delivery programs;
- Support program teams and partners, in conducting feasibility studies, baseline data collection and research for new program development
- Lead or participate in program and project evaluations and impact studies and assist in the development of tools and methods for such evaluations and studies, in collaboration with other staff and stakeholders.
- Prepare terms of reference for all evaluators and coordinate with other key staff
- Supervise the development of data collection tools proposed for evaluations activities.
- Perform data analyses, using appropriate software as necessary, for project research and evaluations.
- Conduct pre and post-tests for all training activities and ascertain change in knowledge acquired
- Conduct end of training/workshop assessments to ensure areas of improvement are taken into account for future trainings/workshops
- Support program/project teams to set up accountability mechanisms to beneficiaries and community members – community based feedback mechanisms
- Monitor the responsive use of accountability mechanisms, data and responses.
Learning and Capacity Building
- Facilitate documentation of project activities with clear articulation of lessons learned, good practices and case studies for each project for internal and external sharing
- Organize learning events and workshops for program teams to document lessons learned, good practices and areas of improvement
- Ensure that learnings and recommendations from all projects and evaluations are well documented and made available to relevant stakeholders including Senior Management Team.
- Identify capacity gaps and build the capacity of the program staff in the areas of MEAL.
Collaboration and Networking
- Participate in HFHU relevant communities of practice and collaborate with counterparts within HFHU network as required.
- Establish a network of country level organizations and individual experts for joint projects and contractual work.
- Support the development of strategic planning and organizational analysis.
- Responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task
- Perform other duties as required by the supervisor for achieving program effectiveness
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, Project Management, Development Studies, statistics, Economics or related field. Master’s degree an added advantage. Strong data analysis training; a post graduate diploma in M&E training desirable.
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar positon, preferable with a development organization.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in different evaluation types, approaches and methodologies, standards and practices (preferably in relation to Human / Social Development or Housing and human settlement)
- Strong technical research competence and experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection methods, data analysis, synthesis and reporting.
- Understanding of contemporary trends and innovations in MEAL
- Proven ability to advise and lead the development and implementation of MEAL strategies, plans, and systems in complex development programs
- High degree of computer literacy, proficient user of MS office, familiarity with statistical packages and IT applications to support MEAL and information management
- Adult training and facilitation skills preferred
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-cultural team
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Familiarity with cutting-edge M&E methods, designing results frameworks and evaluating development results, including experience in practical implementation of impact evaluations, experimental and quasi-experimental evaluations, particularly in housing/finance.
- Demonstrated experience in applying qualitative/participatory research methods; linking planning to M&E, results based approaches.
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of the local languages of program locations will be considered an asset.