Position Title: Construction Supervisor
Supervisor: Construction Specialist
Department: VGH Program
Location: Field based (with field visits to other Habitat for Humanity construction sites)
The primary role of the Construction Supervisor is to provide close supervision and monitoring in construction process while ensuring that decent houses are built for OVC and other selected households in accordance with HFHU principles; by the contracted local firms that have the capacity to build decent houses. He will travel in the operational areas covered by HFHU to provide support.
Roles and responsibilities
• Understand and articulates the Mission and policies of HFHU to local leaders, beneficiaries and community members to uphold the same.
• Ensure quality construction by maintaining standard procedures and guidelines for construction by visiting construction sites regularly.
• Prepares certificates for the local construction firms at all stages.
• Management of crews of skilled and unskilled workers at construction sites.
• Ensure that the Selected OVC house beneficiaries have excavated the Pit to the required depth, Prepare the Setting out Pegs and cleared the site where the housing unit is to be constructed as part of their Key Contribution before construction firms are attached
• Provide monthly and quarterly construction updates to the Construction Specialist and VGH Manager.
• Ensure that the organizational construction policies and guidelines are followed at all times during the construction of the houses.
• Develop construction specification and management i.e. prepare Bills of Quantities/Materials for the selected house designs.
• Ensure that concerns raised by contractors or beneficiaries are documented and shared by Construction Specialist and VGH Manager.
• Ensure that all building materials used in the construction of OVC houses are of the quality as recommended by the Organization.
• Frequent visits to the construction sites.
• Collaborate with the District Local Government Technical officials, Town Council Officials e.g. District Engineers to ensure approval of new design & specifications
• Performs any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
• The suitable candidate will preferably have qualifications including, but not limited to:
University degree in any one of the following disciplines: Bachelor’s degree in Building and Civil Engineering or High Diploma in Building and Civil Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
• Minimum 3 years in construction management work for a non-governmental organization or a reputable international organization.
• Experience in supervising construction works and inventory management
• Practical experience in working with community based structures
• Experience in drawings, developing of BOQs and construction budgets
• Ability to work effectively independently or in a team environment or with colleagues from different backgrounds
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent inter-personal skills; demonstrating diplomacy and tact
• Highly pro-active and self-disciplined
• Ability to live and work in a challenging environment with regular travel to field locations
• Competent in Auto CAD programme & Windows-, MS Office programs and internet
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Must have good motor cycle riding skills with a valid Riding License (Class A)
• Willingness to work & reside in the community within the area of jurisdiction.
Construction Specialist, VGH Manager
District officials, Contractors and other community structures.
Applicants should Send CV, cover letter and relevant academic documentation by email to the Human Resource Department on: email@example.com not later than 5:00 pm on Friday 13th September 2019.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted and any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification