Title of Position: Human Resource Officer
Supervisor: Finance and Administration Manager
Department Finance and Administration
The primary responsibility of this position is to Implement, coordinate and monitor Human Resource (HR) policies, guidelines and procedures and all administrative related activities in accordance with the established HFH Uganda HR & Administration policies and guidelines as well as the Uganda statutory requirements and standards, which include staff recruitment, performance management, training and development, retention and exit processes.
Specific Responsibilities and Tasks:
Policy developments review and updates
- Development, updating, reviewing of policies and procedures in line with accepted established HFH Uganda HR policies and guidelines as well as the Uganda statutory requirements and standards.
- Roll out, orient and disseminate to all staff updated policies and post soft copies to the Human Resource Shared Folder for easy access and reference by all staff
- Respond to new trends in HR through the revision and/or adaptation of HFHU policy as appropriate.
- Advise on existing and new human resources related statutory requirements
- Recruitment and selection of staff to fill in vacant position within the timeline and with quality staff;
- Ensure the recruitment matrixes and job descriptions are reviewed by hiring managers before the recruitment process is started
- Ensure recruitment process compliance; personnel requisitions forms are filled, position advertisements, interview questions/ tests as well as participate in interviews and process interview report obtain all approvals for report recommendation implementation.
- Conduct reference checks, process job offer and employment contracts to the selected suitable candidates
- Arrange and manage orientation schedules for all new hires in collaboration with the hiring manager.
- Regularly review and update the orientation manual including the ongoing refinement of the systems, documentation and systematisation of the program.
- Support the HFHU performance management process for all positions in HFH Uganda.
- Monitor the performance planning process, coordinate and track coaching sessions for all staff to ensure compliance
- analyze performance management forms and consolidate performance management information for decision making on quarterly basis;
- maintains an up-to-date performance management tracking system for all staff to ensure completeness of the exercise, Coaching sessions and appraisal every quarter
Learning and Career Development:
- Keep a file tracking the development needs identified based on the employees’ job plans and together with line managers provide relevant training and technical assistance as may be required.
- Support the staff training and development activities with line managers in accordance with the Human Resource Development Plan; and ensure compliance with HFHU policies and procedures.
- Investigate and when appropriate, take necessary measures related to staff disciplinary and grievances related to Human Resource/ Personnel issues
- Take charge of all General Staff meetings, ensure taking of minutes and keeping of accurate records for future reference on follow up actions for HR well being.
- Advise, plan and arrange staff workshops and retreats
- Manage and update regularly the existing Human Resource Employee databases for effective service delivery
- Manage and regularly update staff leave database, Reconcile and Process Staff Leave
- Conduct annual Human Resource personnel file audit for HFHU and ensure total compliance with Human Resource records and propose recommendations for action points to facilitate any audits conducted by personnel from HQ, donors or external firms.
- Maintain an effective filing system that provides quick and consistent access to all Human Resource information and supporting documentation.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of HFHU personnel policies and procedures and ensure total compliance
- Regularly update staff records on employment contract renewals and advise ND accordingly
- Manager Staff Attendance Register and monitor any flaw and initiate remedies
- Prepare meetings, workshops, trainings as requested by the SMT, give logistical support to organize such meetings and to take minutes or report as requested
- Prepare and process Board and Senior Management Team Monthly and Quarterly meetings minutes, distribute to all staff and regularly remind on TO DO activities as a follow up to the meeting.
- Ensure minutes both for the Board and SMT are signed and properly filed for easy reference and audit use.
- Annually update Insurance schedules and initiate policy renewal process.
- Maintain track schedule of all Insurance claims.
- Follow up compensation claims for accidents, work related injuries and deaths related incidents ensuring that all insurance procedures and relevant documentations are obtained and submitted to the insurance provider.
- Ensure discharge vouchers from insurance are filled and submitted for approval and relevant payments are timely paid for services rendered.
- Ensure proper and smooth staff exit procedures in accordance with HFHU procedures and labour laws and HR leading practices.
- Ensure staff benefits; severance and provident is properly calculated and paid out in accordance with HFHU procedures and local law upon staff exit/separation.
Supervisory Roles: This position will oversee the IT Support Assistant, HR Assistant, and Administration Assistant
Internal working relations: National Director, Deputy National Director-Operations, Finance & Administration Manager, All departments and All Office Staff.
External working relations: HR Consultants/Vendors, Contractors and service providers.
Qualifications, Experience and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource management or a related field such as Administration, Social Sciences and Business Management. A postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management is an added advantage.
- At least four years work experience in handling human resource and personnel administration issues in a large similar organization.
- Demonstrated experience/knowledge of GOU labor laws, NSSF policies an advantage.
- Strong writing and analytical skills. Ability to apply creative thinking to practical problem solving with an aim of improving service delivery.
- Highly pro-active and self-disciplined; Must be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at a time and work effectively with colleagues from different backgrounds.
- Strong planning, organization, interpersonal, communication and decision-making skills as well as team building and negotiation skills
- Confidentiality, tact and discretion when dealing with people and issues.
- Solid understanding of MS Word, MS Excel, experience in E-mail and communication an advantage.
- High integrity, self-driven and able to set own work schedule with rigorous deadlines.
- High level of professional people management and customer care skills.
- Ability to initiate and complete assignments and to work under demanding circumstances with minimal supervision.
- Skills in information management and record keeping
Applicants should Send CV, cover letter and relevant academic documentation by email to the Human Resource Department on: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 5:00 pm by Friday 5th April 2019. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted and any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.